Friday, September 11, 2009

Empowement 2009

Hey guys, Rebekah here. Just thought I would update you a bit on a conference I attended a few weeks ago.



Let me back up a bit. Daughters of Charity had there staff meeting about a month ago. At that time, I was given a handout. This handout stated information about registering for a walk to help NO/AIDS raise money to help treat and support the people of New Orleans with HIV. So, being particularly drawn to this population, I immediately went to the website when I had a free chance and registered to participate.

While on the website, I couldn't help but notice the Empowerment 2009 conference (it was the first thing on the website). As I read more about this conference, I learned it was open to the public and free. I was elated! So, after getting the permission from work and all appropriate people, I went.

There has to be something said about someone who shares their HIV positive status. There is a large portion of our society that still looks negatively on this population. Being a relatively new disease, only about 30 years old now, I feel there is still a large deficit in information to the general public. HIV truly effects every person on this planet. An estimated 40 million people are thought to be infected with HIV worldwide, and only half are aware that they are infected. And if you think about the six degrees of separation, I am sure you know someone who knows someone, etc.

So, when I entered the Marriott on Convention Center Blvd., I was pleasantly surprised to see the room packed so full people were standing. People from all different races, men and women. All together to understand this virus a little better.

The introduction was by a man who was diagnosed with HIV in the 1980's. He was an active participant in his care, and even challenged medical providers to give him more than one medication to treat his condition. He encouraged people to be active in their role as a patient, and to speak up. He said, "I just wasn't going to be scared anymore! If there was something I wanted to do, I did it." And he is here now, because he had an active role in his health care.

Possibly the most moving speaker was a young women. She was diagnosed in the early 90's when she was pregnant. Her child is HIV negative. She spoke to the crowd with intensity. I can still hear her words echoing in my head, and I think that everyone can use them. She said, "We are not here to empower you. We are here to give you the tools to empower yourself!"

Such a powerful speech.

It got me thinking. I am here, but I can't fix all the problems. New Orleans still is suffering a lot. More than the rest of the country is aware, and you really can't tell until you are here experiencing it. The thing I see mostly are those people who don't have jobs. Migrant workers without social security numbers. Everyone still gets sick, and everyone still needs health care.

Maybe I can't make it free for all. But I can help make the clinic a little better. Whether it be by following up with patients, helping to organize a little or even doing small tasks that no one else has the time to complete. I work where I am needed, and hopefully when I leave there will be something I have done here to make it a little easier for those people who need the clinic.

Empowerment.

1 comment:

  1. Rebekah -- What a wonderful reflection! We grow with God as we learn to cross the borders of our comfort zones and place our feet among those who are hurting. I would have loved to have been at that convention too. Thanks for sharing and for the terrific poem. Celeste

    ReplyDelete